Database migration to Regkeeper 2.0

Old forum to discuss the RegKeeper- e-Sales Tracking Software. (Locked)
fuwafunghk

Database migration to Regkeeper 2.0

Post by fuwafunghk »

Hi Igor,

I am happy to hear that Regkeeper 2.0 had been released :D . Many computer users know that MS Access DB format has some problems when the records getting more and more. And since Regkeeper 2.0 supports new DB format, so can I convert/migrate my Regkeeper v1.9 DB format to 1 of the v2.0 DB format ? It is very important for my decision to purchase a full v2.0 license. I feel that this is great product even I haven't tried it but it can be sensed from previous versions. :)

Best regards,
Fuwa Fung.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi,

First at all thank you for your kind words.
Yes, you can use your 1.x database in version 2.0. To do this you can do either:
1. If you wish to work under MS Access database then just open your old database in version 2.0 and it will be automatically converted into newest format. So you just continue to work as you did with version 1.x.
2. If you wish to move your 1.x DB to MySQL with all data then:
2.1. Do all the steps as described in 1.
2.2. When you open your older MS Access DB in RegKeeper 2.0 select in menu File | Database Wizard.
2.3. In Wizard select Create new database and configure settings for MySQL connection.
2.4. On the last page check tables which you need to re-use.
2.5. After wizard completed all your data from currently opened DB will be moved to new database. With the only exception: Custom Fields must be re-created manually in new DB!

Important note : Before opening your working 1.x version database in new version I would recommend to make a backup of it just in case you will need it in 1.x later. Because version 2.0 DB is not compatible with 1.x!
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

Hi Igor,

I have installed the new version of RegKeeper, in the hope of migrating from Armtracker which is now a dead product.

1. The feedback that is displayed upon uninstallation doesn't work. There's a (scripting?) error when you click on the Submit button.

2. So here is the feedback:

I cannot easily move my existing Armtracker data to RegKeeper because of the very different database structure. The import wizard can't do much about this. I would have to write a program to migrate the data and I have no time.

Cheers.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

MainSoft wrote:1. The feedback that is displayed
I meant "the feedback page". Sorry.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi Patrick,

Yes, we've fixed the issue with our feedback page. Thank you for reporting this.
As to the Armtracker issue: as we have the only one request for this (yours one :)) it was delayed. But I will try to get on this issue as soon as we resolve issues with other products reported during these Holidays.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

isiticov wrote:As to the Armtracker issue: as we have the only one request for this (yours one :)) it was delayed.
Hi Igor,

I understand. I'm not in a hurry anyway. Please spend your valuable time on the most urgent things. Just, the latest version of Armtracker is now more than 2 years old and they don't even answer on their forum. Time to migrate (or to write another interface to their Access database).

Also, I have noticed that Silicon Realms (Digital River) is now licensing the source code of their key generator and the use of the new version of their CodeGen.dll (50$ for 10 000 keys). How are you dealing with this? I guess it's up to the Regkeeper user to update his Codegen.dll?

The old version of the DLL is not licensed (I think), so if you are still using it in order to generate Armadillo keys, this is not a problem for those who didn't upgrade to the latest versions of Armadillo / SoftwarePassport.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi Patrick,

We don't distribute/provide Codegen.dll with Regkeeper. We just deliver sample source code for creating Armadillo key generator using ArmAccess.dll. And it is up to user which version of CodeGen.dll to use.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.