Adding Russian resources

All announcements, questions and issues related to the Resource Builder
nbnewman

Adding Russian resources

Post by nbnewman »

I have written an application in Delphi 7. It has to display some 400 strings, which are stored in a resource file (RES) as a stringtable. The program can work in both Hebrew and English; each Hebrew string is numbered 1-400, and the corresponding English strings are numbered 1001-1400. The appropriate string is selected by the program by adding a constant (1000) to the string number.

So far, so good. I have now been asked to add a Russian interface. Someone translated the strings into Russian, and I was given a Word file with the Russian translation. This I moved into Notepad and changed the syntax so that it would be a legal RC file. I saved the Notepad file as Unicode.

I have tried to import this RC file into Resource Builder but with no luck. I then created a new RC file in Resource Builder and began copying strings from the text file into RB. Trying to compile this new file resulted in failure.

How to I create a RES file with Russian strings?
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

What failure do you get when you compile RC file and when you import RC file?
Be sure to save RC file with Russian as Unicode RC file if your OS's default locale is not Russian.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
nbnewman

Adding Russian resources

Post by nbnewman »

I open Resource Builder and choose 'open', selecting my Russian rc file (saved as unicode).

An error box is displayed: error 33, "format '%s' invalid or incompatible with argument. Below that I see the resource file, where all the Russian characters are rendered as question marks. Line number 2 (which is the first Russian string) is highlighted in red.

When I press on the "edit as text" button, I see the characters as Russian. I now note that the quote marks have been changed. I have replaced the quote marks on the first three lines, and now line number 4 is highlighted.

I will replace the quote marks on all the lines and see what happens.[/img]
nbnewman

Adding Russian resources

Post by nbnewman »

I've gone through the file, replacing the forward or backward quotes with "neutral" quotes, and now everything is ok. I even have a RES file!

Now the fun begins, trying to read that file from Delphi.

Thanks!