How to merge SIL files...

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
MainSoft

How to merge SIL files...

Post by MainSoft »

...or import only one language from another SIL file?

I have a SIL file that I have distributed to various translators in different countries. They are now sending me back the SIL where they added a translation for their own language. Let's assume that I have an original translation for english and french. I exported and SIL file, send it to an italian, a german, a portuguese and a spanish translator. Now I have 4 files containing

File #1 : english french spanish
File #2 : english french portuguese
File #3 : english french italian
File #4 : english french german

So I have an original translation in Delphi (english french) into which I want to insert the new translations from each new SIL file. Of course I can delete all languages except the new language from each new SIL file and try a copy and paste into the original translation in Delphi (not sure this will work).

Doing a File | Load is not satisfactory because this will erase the existing translations. This is a problem because the translator who added the new language might have inadvertently introduced errors in the existing translations or the existing translations might have been modified meanwhile. And this doesn't solve the problem anyway for the next SIL file that I want to import.

Is there any simple way to merge these different SIL files?

Thanks.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
MainSoft

Re: How to merge SIL files...

Post by MainSoft »

MainSoft wrote:...or import only one language from another SIL file?
Please forget the odd question. I missed the "merge" command in the external editor.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr