*Help* New User about to translate large project

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
ozmosys

*Help* New User about to translate large project

Post by ozmosys »

Hi Guys,

Before I embark on a major localisation project, I wanted to make sure I do it the right way.

The project has MANY form etc. what do you suggest is the best way to approach? I want to end up with a single external .SIL file to aid translation. Do I use TsiLang components on all forms, or TsiLangLinked components?

Any suggestions, help would be appreciated

Best regards

Steve
OzmoSys Australia
gaivans

Post by gaivans »

Hello,

First, we would recommend you download the User's Guide http://www.sicomponents.com/soft/siManual.pdf if you have not got it. It contains a lot of useful information and tips.

With respect to a type of TsiLang components to use. If you do not want to give your users the possibility to edit translations, then the best results in performance and usability are reached with the following combination:
1. One TsiLang component on the main form or on another auto-created form (for example, "Options");
2. A TsiLangDispatcher on the same form;
3. All other forms and datamodules have TsiLangLinked components which are linked to the TsiLang and TsiLangDispatcher through properties "CommonContainer" and "LangDispatcher", respectively.

If you wish to export all translation data to a single .SIL file, launch the TsiLang Expert and select the menu command "File|Save/Load Translation/Save Project...". This file you can give to your translator along with SIL File Editor. And after he/she transletes it you can load all the data back to the project.

Another important tip: Before you provide the translator with a .SIL file exclude all properties or components that do need translations. The properties "DoNotTranslate", "ExcludedProperties", and "SmartExcludeProps" are responsible for this. You can invoke the corresponding actions from the context menu in the Translation Editor.
First, add all components that should not be translated at all to the "DoNotTranslate" list. For example, TTable, TQuery, TBevel, and other data-aware or decorative components do not need any translations very often.
Second, several string-type properties do need translations, for example,
"ImeName", "HelpKeyword". Add them to the "ExcludedProperties" list.
If you prepare your project with these steps it will enhance application performance and will not confuse your translator with unnecessary strings.
Best regards,
Serghei Gaivan
ozmosys

RE: *Help* New User about to translate large project

Post by ozmosys »

Hello Serghei

Thank you for your detailed reply!

Since posting my original message, I downloaded the User's Guide, and had come to the conclusion that the arrangement you described would be the most suitable for my project. Thanks for the confirmation! :wink:

Best regards

Steve