Translation editor autosave?

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
MainSoft

Translation editor autosave?

Post by MainSoft »

Hi,

There's something I don't understand in the Translation editor. After I have made some changes, I'd like to exit that window, and if I click on save, I'm prompted to save into a SIL file. However, I want to save into the form data not into a SIL files. But there's no command to do that. So I have to (try to) close the window, which triggers a warning prompt asking whether I want to save my changes !?!

Did I miss something? Should not the translation editor have an autosave feature?

Thanks.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Re: Translation editor autosave?

Post by isiticov »

MainSoft wrote:After I have made some changes, I'd like to exit that window.... I want to save into the form
Yes, this is as designed, saving to DFM is performed on exit of editor if user accepts changes made.
MainSoft

Re: Translation editor autosave?

Post by MainSoft »

[quote="isiticov]Yes, this is as designed, saving to DFM is performed on exit of editor if user accepts changes made.[/quote]

Then I vote for an Autosave option. Since it's so easy to revert a change , I think most users would appreciate such a feature.

Cheers.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

It is not so easy to revert the changes after the editor closed. How do you see the Autosave functionality will work? Did you have in mind automatically save on exit any without prompt? Then how to revert?
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

isiticov wrote:It is not so easy to revert the changes after the editor closed. How do you see the Autosave functionality will work? Did you have in mind automatically save on exit any without prompt? Then how to revert?
Hi Igor,

I see the feature as follows (roughly):

1. The editor window should get a new button named Save to form and another one named Restore previous translations.

2. If the Autosave option is ON, then the user would get no prompt when exiting the editor window and the data would automatically be saved to the form after the current data have been saved to an external stream (say, prev_<frmname>.sil). Or maybe to an internal, temporary memory stream.

3. If the Autosave option is OFF, the data could be saved by clicking on the "Save to form" button. Again, the current data would be saved before to prev_<frmname>.sil. If the document is no longer marked as dirty (no modifications made after clicking on the "Save to form" button), the user could exit the editor without getting any prompt. Otherwise, he would be prompted as usual.

4. While editing, you could reload the contents of previous.sil by clicking on the "Restore previous translations" button.

This would make the editor window's behavior more consistent, I think.

My two cents :)
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Really thanks for ideas. We will see what could be used and implemented.