Correct Font/Charset on XP

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
DInfo

Correct Font/Charset on XP

Post by DInfo »

I am trying to sort out what font/charset to use for chinese/japenese/korean on the default install of XP with the language packs. I have the extra fonts installed (and now MS San Serif and Tahoma are linked fonts).

The MS docs seem to say use DEFAULT_CHARSET with unicode char encodings. Does the expert accept a Paste of a Unicode char? If so, should I directly select the install unicode font (Batang, etc) and then set the CHARSET? Will XP correctly map Tahoma (as linked font) to the correct unicode char?

Sorry for the load of questions. My deadline just moved up to tonight!

Thanks

David
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

It is always better to setup fonts and charsets for these languages. For Far East languages I would recommend to use Arial Unicode MS as font and appropriate charset. TsiLang Translations Editor uses the settings for Font and Charset of language when converting string from Unicode Clipboard to Delphi acceptable Ansi in order to be able to properly display it.
Hope this helps.
DInfo

Post by DInfo »

Unfortunately, Arial Unicode MS is not shipping on these systems. However, the MS supplemental support for Asian languages is shipped.

Basically, I'm trying to cut and paste from Google (seems to work better than Babelfish) into the expert. Using Arial Unicode MS and every charset I can not get Asian chars in TBitBtn, TButton, TLabel, or TCheckBox.

Where am I going wrong? Is it the paste operation?

BTW: The western languages work very well.
DInfo

Post by DInfo »

Maybe a better question is: How do I enter unicode chars into the expert?

Thanks!
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

I assume you've meant the TsiLang Translations Editor under "expert".

1. You should have installed keyboard layout for these languages.
2. In Fonts section for form and all listed controls for these languages should be set the correct value of font.
3. The same for Charsets (Japanese uses SHIFTJIS_CHARSET; Korean uses HANGUEL_CHARSET and so on).
4. Would be good to have same settings under Default Fonts (Tools -> Deafult Fonts).

This should help you to enter the valid characters. Please let us know about the results.