Export from SIL Editor

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Andrew Graham

Export from SIL Editor

Post by Andrew Graham »

I have a SIL (and a SIB) file with English and Japanese translations. In the file the the Japanese translation displays correctly in Japanese text (MS PGothic font) but when the curser is placed over it the tooltip text is not readable. When I export to a CSV file the Japanese translation is the same as the tooltip text and changing font has no effect.
Importing a CSV file containing Japanese translations works fine.
What is wrong? :cry:
Andrew Graham

Post by Andrew Graham »

I have the answer myself.
The font is lost when exporting to CSV files. Exporting to XLS or DOC is okay.
dorin

Re: Export from SIL Editor

Post by dorin »

Andrew Graham wrote:In the file the the Japanese translation displays correctly in Japanese text (MS PGothic font) but when the curser is placed over it the tooltip text is not readable.
Unfortunately Delphi does not allow us to create multilanguage hints. So, the only way to make SIL Editor show Japanese hints is to set the system default locale to Japanese. Then you can have both english and japanese hints.
Andrew Graham wrote:When I export to a CSV file the Japanese translation is the same as the tooltip text and changing font has no effect.
Delphi, and therefore TsiLang and SIL Editor use ANSI strings for translating VCL controls text properties, and it exports to CSV as ANSI strings. Japanese is a multi-byte script that cannot work in a single-byte ANSI environment. Since CSV is a simple plain text format it cannot handle text formatting using many fonts and charsets. Therefore we recommend using Excel or Microsoft Word format that is unicode enabled and offers real multilanguage support and eich text formatting.