SiComponents Home Page SiComponents Forums
Here you will be able to get help and share your experience

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using resources strings via PE Import ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SiComponents Forums Forum Index -> TsiLang Components Suite
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HenrichD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 2:34 pm    Post subject: Anyone using resources strings via PE Import ? Reply with quote

Just wanted to ask if anyone uses resource strings via PE Import.

My issues :

As my source code tends to live, I have to reimport due to addition of new resourcestrings

The reimport selection list in that PE Import Wizart does not help me in identifying the new resourcestring, so I select all.

After reimport, I have duplicate/triple/quadruple entries and from time to time the String Ids change so it's a big pain to manually maintain the resourcestring translation - even with dictionary manager.

There was a thread back from 2002 where someone complained about the same things, Igor promised to do something about it in a upcoming release.

As no improvement happened : Is it o.k. to characterize that resource translation capability as beta / last resourt solution or am I missing something ?

Let me know, please

Henrich
Haron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone using resources strings via PE Import ? Reply with quote

HenrichD

> Just wanted to ask if anyone uses resource strings via PE Import.

I did.

> The reimport selection list in that PE Import Wizart does not help me in identifying the new resourcestring, so I select all.

Don't continue, I know. This design problem is fixed.

Be excited: there are more very nice features to come.
HenrichD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haron,

Sounds great - what is the time frame ? Any estimation when we might see an improved version ?

(Right now I'm thinking about discarding all my 1xxx resourcestrings and using string constants instead which I'd hate).

The reason I'm using resourcestrings : they are used in 'non visual' code like threads and legacy procedural programming. I don't want to introduce an application wide dictionary for those modules because they are shared in different applications in different combinations and I don't want to create a dependency mess.

Resourcestrings let me translate exactly what I need - which I like.
Speed is not an issue for me - the resourcestrings are used for logging, error handling and data generation.

Let me know about a time frame estimation - I'd be willing to wait a couple weeks, but not 6 months ...

Thanks,

Henrich.

P.S.: Have you ever seen the way multilizer handles/handled resourcestrings ?
(I last used it 2000 and what I liked about it : you can filter and translate resourcestrings by unit - so you know what you are working on. If I look at the Resource Dictionary in SilEditor - whew - looks like you really need to know what you are doing)
Haron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenrichD

> Sounds great - what is the time frame ?

Sorry, this is not my responsibility... I'm just special SIComponents user, not developer / support member.

> Any estimation when we might see an improved version ?

Of course I can say _my_ estimation (can be absolutely not correct :) - during March.

> The reason I'm using resourcestrings

Well, excellent reason ! Till now I never used resourcestrings (ok, almost never :), only in my components and common utils). But all clasess of my big Delphi project uses one central strings-storage.

> Resourcestrings let me translate exactly what I need - which I like.

That's right. This way I do translation of Developer Express Printing System dialogs, because they also use resourcestrings and run-time initialization.

> Have you ever seen the way multilizer handles/handled resourcestrings ?

No, too expensive. I start using SILang about 4 years ago and always get satisfied, because its functionality raise together with my needs - great support.

> (I last used it 2000 and what I liked about it : you can filter and translate resourcestrings by unit - so you know what you are working on

Yes, this is really good !...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    SiComponents Forums Forum Index -> TsiLang Components Suite All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: