adding korean to dictionary problems

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
larsrikart

adding korean to dictionary problems

Post by larsrikart »

I receive sil-files with korean translation. when opening the sil file in sil-editor and adding the strings to the dictionary it some of the korean letters are exchanged with questionmarks(?).

Both the sil-file and the dictionary is set to use Arial Unicode MS and the font is installed on the machine from the MS Office package.

Any idea what the problem is?

the sil file with korean language is available at
http://www.palmbutler.com/testing/gwizard.sil
----------------------------------------------
Lars Rikart Jensen
PCzapper
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Did this happend in all strings or only in strings for captions from TRemoteWizardForm?
larsrikart

Post by larsrikart »

I can be reproduced

1) open gwizard.sil in sileditor
2) add a line to the dictionary
3) check the added line in the dictionary (it should be wrong)
4) delete the korean translation from the sil-editor
5) let sileditor propose a translation from dictionary for the deleted korean translation and choose it.
6) the translation in sileditor is also wrong.
Lars Rikart Jensen
PCzapper
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Everything works well on our side.
Do you have set up Default Fonts (see Tools|Default Fonts in SIL Editor menu) for Korean language? Please be sure that for Korean language is set to use Arial Unicode MS font and HANGUEL_CHARSET.
larsrikart

Post by larsrikart »

Hi my problem

When suggesting from dictionary

everything looks allright.

But in the translation editor you get ??'s like this:

Lars Rikart Jensen
PCzapper
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Checking...
Btw, you may use not Suggest Translation but Get Translation and then it for sure should work correct.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Checked and this works fine too for us. Are you sure you have specified the correct Charset (Hanguel) for Korean language? What OS do you use?
larsrikart

Post by larsrikart »

1) charset is correct in both dictonary manager, translator and sileditor(silfile).
2) Windows XP Pro English completely windowsupdated
Lars Rikart Jensen
PCzapper
larsrikart

Post by larsrikart »

Hi I now found two situations where this can happen.

1) sometimes even though SilEditors default font for Korean is Hanguel you need to set CharSet to Hanguel for each module in this section.
You then get ??(questionmarks) when getting the translations from the dictionary.

2) I have seen situations with a different font chosen for korean in the Font section. If this is a non asian font or the font is not installed on the PC you get garbage letters.
Lars Rikart Jensen
PCzapper
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

larsrikart wrote: 1) sometimes even though SilEditors default font for Korean is Hanguel you need to set CharSet to Hanguel for each module in this section.
You then get ??(questionmarks) when getting the translations from the dictionary.
Yes, SIL Editor uses the Font/Charset info from file first if this is available, so when you have empty font/charset for this language for the form or control itself then it will try to use Font/Charset info from first language (default). And only in case it is not available then it uses the information from Default Fonts settings.
larsrikart wrote: 2) I have seen situations with a different font chosen for korean in the Font section. If this is a non asian font or the font is not installed on the PC you get garbage letters.
This is similar to 1)

Anyway I hope it is working for you now.