How to manage a translation with Cyrillic characters

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Richard Mueller

How to manage a translation with Cyrillic characters

Post by Richard Mueller »

We have a project with a Russian translation, i.e. with Cyrillic characters. Within the RAD Studio everything is fine. The strings are displayed correctly. But after exporting these strings to a sib file and opening it with the SIL Editor they are only displayed as question marks.
Since we are using RAD Studio 2010 and RAD Studio XE2, the strings are Unicode strings. And by opening the sib file with an editor it can be confirmed that the sib file’s internal representation of the strings is Unicode. Why doesn’t the SIL editor then display the Cyrillic characters correctly?
I have found some topics in the forum dealing with similar problems. All the provided solutions deal with character sets and font settings. I cannot understand this because the Unicode strings should not necessitate the use of code tables or character sets. But anyhow, what is the correct way to deal with Cyrillic characters, i.e. what has to be considered to manage a translation by performing the following steps:
- Export the project from the IDE via “Save Project” to as sib File
- Open the sib File with the SIL editor
- Export the translations via the “Export” function of the SIL editor to an Excel file
- Import the translated Excel file into the SIL editor in order to create a new sib File with the translations
- Import the sib file into the Delphi project via “Load Project”.
We are especially interested in in a solution where the Unicode representation of the strings is not changed, i.e. on the way from the IDE to the Excel file and back the strings should never be transformed to a non Unicode representation.
Thank you very much in advance!
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Please send us your sample SIB file and we will try to check what's wrong with it on our side.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello Richard,

Thank you for sending us the SIB file. Since SIL Editor (currently pulished version) is actually ANSI application, there are still some Unicode->ANSI->Unicode transformations of data. And this is why it still needs Charset data to properly handle some languages. BUT we're finishing the preparing of new version release which will include updated SIL Editor and it will handle such files just fine. Please let us couple of days till we release new version of TsiLang Components Suite.
Thank you again.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Richard Mueller

Thank you for your prompt support. I am looking forward to the new version.
biol

Post by biol »

Hello Igor,
I've the same problem with Cyrillic characters as Richard.
I'm using TSiLang Files Editor Rel. 6.0.0.36.
When will the new release be available ?
Thanks for your collaboration.
Angelo Biolcati Rinaldi
MontiEng
ITALY
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

6.0.0.36 is a newer version and it shall fix this problem. If the problem still persists on your side- please send us your SIB file.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Richard Mueller

Thank you!

Thank you Igor for your great support. The problem is solved with the nes SIL Editor.
biol

Post by biol »

Problem solved :)
I was using a .sil file, exported from the TSiLang component editor. Now I use a .sib file created by the TSiLang Expert "save project" command and everything works correctly.

Thanks again for your collaboration.
Angelo Biolcati Rinaldi
MontiEng
ITALY