Migration of a given language from one SIB to another one?

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Jean-Paul Brassard

Migration of a given language from one SIB to another one?

Post by Jean-Paul Brassard »

I gave some SIB Files to a translator to add a new language to our system.

When the translator will come back with its translated files, I will need to merge its work back into our system.
But our own SIB file will have been changed at that time. Many new strings and components and some deleted or renamed...

Which would be the best way to migrate the new translated language (SIB column) from translator's SIB file to our current SIB.
Jean-Paul Brassard
Quebec, Canada
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

I would recommend for this case to use Dictionary Manager as a middleware. When SIB file from translator received, add its content to the dictionary and then use Auto-Translate in SIL Editor to get only the actual translations for your working SIB file.
Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Jean-Paul Brassard

Unfortunately, your suggestion does not fulfill my need.

As the Spanish translation started from a pre-beta copy of the new version of our system, many many English strings have been adjusted or re-written since that preliminary version has been given to the translator.

So, if I use the Dictionary Manager to put its work into the final version, those many many strings will be lost (no more match).

That is why I need to transfer the Spanish contents, directly from SIB to SIB (or SIL), by comparing the Class name / Property name. This way, translated string would find there appropriate location into the system, even if the English strings differ.

Do I have to write my own code to read SIB or SIL and do the Spanish transfer by a dedicated program?

Do someone knows any tool or trick that could help here?

Thanks!
Jean-Paul Brassard
Quebec, Canada
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi,

In such case you simple need to use Merge Wizard in SIL Editor (menu File | Merge). It will perform exactly what you need.

P.S. I wrote you about Dictionary Manager because few days earlier someone from your company asked the similar question (by email) and refused the answer about SIL Editor exactly by the opposite reasons that you have. :wink:
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Jean-Paul Brassard

Thanks,

I will try it :-)
Jean-Paul Brassard
Quebec, Canada