Command Line interface for editinig version info

All announcements, questions and issues related to the Resource Builder
deepakzworld

Command Line interface for editinig version info

Post by deepakzworld »

Hi,
I am planning to buy Resource Builder for my company since we need to edit resouces in DLLs and EXEs from time to time since as are packaged as part of other products.
For this particular case, I am looking at editing the file version of an EXE that is packaged into another product. And the way I want to do it is using a silent command line interface for resource builder and calling it within the installer for the main product.

Please let me know if this is doable. I can edit the desired information from the GUi easily but this is not what the build script should be doing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi,

You can create an RC file in your build script with necessary version information. On the next step you can compile it using either Resource Builder main exe or SIRCC32.EXE and then link compiled RES file to EXE using SIRCC32.EXE or main executable of Resource Builder.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
deepakzworld

Post by deepakzworld »

Thanks for the reply Igor.
I tried what you suggested. Although it works, the problem is I want to update only the Version Information inside the exe.

Following the approach you suggested updates all the resources in the exe, like the Icons, etc. with whats inside the .res file.
Is there a way we can update just a particular resource inside an executable? I see '-update' as one of the options for the utility but not sure how I can use it in this particular case.

Another approach that might also work for my case is:
1. I can extract a .rc file from the current exe.
2. Compile this .rc file into a .res file.
3. Update just the VerisonInfo inside this .res file.
4. Replace the resources of the exe with the .res file.
I would like to know if there's a way to implement Step3 using Resource Builder command-line tool.

To be very specific, I want to update File Version, Product Version, Company Name and Legal Copyright inside the Version Info.

Thanks
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

I think you can try the following way:
1. Create a template RC file with your version info. RC file is just a text file in a specific format.
2. In your build script create the actual RC file with proper version info information.
3. Using SIRCC32.EXE utility (console utility that is delivered with Resource Builder) with -c switch compile this RC file into RES.
4. Using SIRCC32.EXE utility with -ls switch link this RES file to your EXE.

This way you will only update the specific resource in EXE and left others untouched.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.