Anyone using resources strings via PE Import ?

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
HenrichD

Anyone using resources strings via PE Import ?

Post by HenrichD »

Just wanted to ask if anyone uses resource strings via PE Import.

My issues :
  • As my source code tends to live, I have to reimport due to addition of new resourcestrings

The reimport selection list in that PE Import Wizart does not help me in identifying the new resourcestring, so I select all.

After reimport, I have duplicate/triple/quadruple entries and from time to time the String Ids change so it's a big pain to manually maintain the resourcestring translation - even with dictionary manager.
There was a thread back from 2002 where someone complained about the same things, Igor promised to do something about it in a upcoming release.

As no improvement happened : Is it o.k. to characterize that resource translation capability as beta / last resourt solution or am I missing something ?

Let me know, please

Henrich
Haron

Re: Anyone using resources strings via PE Import ?

Post by Haron »

HenrichD

> Just wanted to ask if anyone uses resource strings via PE Import.

I did.

> The reimport selection list in that PE Import Wizart does not help me in identifying the new resourcestring, so I select all.

Don't continue, I know. This design problem is fixed.

Be excited: there are more very nice features to come.
HenrichD

Post by HenrichD »

Hi Haron,

Sounds great - what is the time frame ? Any estimation when we might see an improved version ?

(Right now I'm thinking about discarding all my 1xxx resourcestrings and using string constants instead which I'd hate).

The reason I'm using resourcestrings : they are used in 'non visual' code like threads and legacy procedural programming. I don't want to introduce an application wide dictionary for those modules because they are shared in different applications in different combinations and I don't want to create a dependency mess.

Resourcestrings let me translate exactly what I need - which I like.
Speed is not an issue for me - the resourcestrings are used for logging, error handling and data generation.

Let me know about a time frame estimation - I'd be willing to wait a couple weeks, but not 6 months ...

Thanks,

Henrich.

P.S.: Have you ever seen the way multilizer handles/handled resourcestrings ?
(I last used it 2000 and what I liked about it : you can filter and translate resourcestrings by unit - so you know what you are working on. If I look at the Resource Dictionary in SilEditor - whew - looks like you really need to know what you are doing)
Haron

Post by Haron »

HenrichD

> Sounds great - what is the time frame ?

Sorry, this is not my responsibility... I'm just special SIComponents user, not developer / support member.

> Any estimation when we might see an improved version ?

Of course I can say _my_ estimation (can be absolutely not correct :) - during March.

> The reason I'm using resourcestrings

Well, excellent reason ! Till now I never used resourcestrings (ok, almost never :), only in my components and common utils). But all clasess of my big Delphi project uses one central strings-storage.

> Resourcestrings let me translate exactly what I need - which I like.

That's right. This way I do translation of Developer Express Printing System dialogs, because they also use resourcestrings and run-time initialization.

> Have you ever seen the way multilizer handles/handled resourcestrings ?

No, too expensive. I start using SILang about 4 years ago and always get satisfied, because its functionality raise together with my needs - great support.

> (I last used it 2000 and what I liked about it : you can filter and translate resourcestrings by unit - so you know what you are working on

Yes, this is really good !...