question about default charset

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
piro

question about default charset

Post by piro »

Hi isiticov, and everybody,

I know that some charsets should be used with some fonts, but what about the default_charset? would it be better to use it for example instead of ansi_chaset for western languages (and the same for far east languages)?

Also, what about the non translated components like Edits and some labels (that i don't want to translate)? I mean, should i use a particular charset?

Thanks in advance.

piro
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

For non translated controls it is up to you to use or not some particular Charset and depends on your app design.
When using DEFAULT_CHARSET your user will be able to see correctly only languages supported by OS by default. This means: that under default locale set German you will be able to see German, English, French and other west europen language but won't be able to see Russian and others. And same applies for opposite settings. But when you specifying what exactly charset to use for language you will be sure that user will see your controls properly. Btw, for English language DEFAULT_CHARSET could be used always, since all languages charsets suport it :)
piro

Post by piro »

much appreciated.

could you please tell where I can find the "MS Arial Unicode" font? as I cannot find it on microsoft site and don't have office 2k.

best regards,
piro
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

I think it should be installed with MS Office, but you may try to install the additional languages support for your Win2k and may be this will contain the Arial Unicode font as well. Otherwise you will need just to use different fonts for diferent languages.