SilEditor Command Line

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Owen

SilEditor Command Line

Post by Owen »

Is there a document available anywhere which provides full details of the command line options available with SilEditor?

I've found a few in the help file with regards to the -a switch which relates to merging .sib files and there's discussion in some release notes (from a long way back) regarding a -E switch which relates in some way to exporting. There's no significant detail though!

I'm trying to create a pre-commit script which invokes SilEditor to open our primary .sib file and to export it to XML to better track changes and to allow for merge/import capabilities.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Owen
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,
The latest version of SIL Editor includes updated help file which includes description of -a -d and merging commands. Unfortunately, by unknown reason description of -e key disappeared. We will fix it. In short the command would be:

Code: Select all

sileditor.exe -e [FULL_PATH_TO_SOURCE_FILE]FILE.sib [FULL_PATH_TO_TARGET_FILE]FILE2.SIL 
Source file: SIL or SIB.
Target file could be SIL/SIB, CSV, HTML, DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX.
Owen

Post by Owen »

isiticov wrote:

Code: Select all

sileditor.exe -e [FULL_PATH_TO_SOURCE_FILE]FILE.sib [FULL_PATH_TO_TARGET_FILE]FILE2.SIL 

Thanks for the quick reply.

That looks to be the command I'll need. I'll take a look at those export formats. XML would have been ideal for merging multiple changesets but the HTML export format ought to be usable in the same way provided that it's possible to import the file again!
Owen

Import?

Post by Owen »

Is there an equivalent import command?

We're now using the -e (export) switch to automatically export .sib files as .html files, suitable for storing in a version control system. That way, when .sib files change on multiple branches it's just a matter of merging the two html files back together.

Within SilEditor we can import the .html files and save them back as .sib files again prior to issuing a release but it would be great to be able to script this process. Is there a command-line import function which can be used to go back from .html to .sib?
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

No, unfortunately, import not supported by command-line. We will try to add this feature.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Owen

Post by Owen »

That's great to hear, we'll find it extremely useful!

If I might ask, what sort of techniques are your developers (and others reading the board) using to maintain .sib files with regards to version control?