SILEditor issue

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Sandor Albert

SILEditor issue

Post by Sandor Albert »

Hi Igor,

Some weird behavior was noticed recently when I let SILEditor finally update itself (my previous version was from 2011). Luckily enough I saved a copy of the previous version "just in case". Here are my findings:
- when using the latest SILEditor to open an existing SIB file, after making some changes (like replacing a translated string with a corrected one) and saving them, the new SIB file size increased significantly (even beyond the size of the corresponding SIL) which I find really weird (after all it's a binary file, supposedly packed more efficiently than its human-readable SIL sibling)
- when converting a UTF-8 SIB file into SIL and then back, the extended characters are replaced by '?'. In fact they are being replaced while converting it into SIL. If I do the same thing using the older SILEditor, everything looks fine.

Any advice regarding these concerns would be much appreciated. If needed, I can provide you with a sample SIB containing only a few entries, and the generated SIL files using each of the two SILEditor versions I have. I know you've heard it many times before, but let me second it: we're using the localization component and the SILEditor globally for our product, currently supporting 15 languages. I assume that you realize the impact an issue like this could have on a globally used translation file.
Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,
- Sandor -
Sandor Albert

Post by Sandor Albert »

Is there a way to expedite your replying? Any suggestion yet?
I'm really in an urgent need for a reply to know whether I should downgrade every PC having SILEditor to the old version, or is there a work around?
Please let me know if you need sample SIB/SIL files to better understand what the issue is.

Regards,
- Sandor -
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

Sorry for the delay with my reply. We just updated SIL Editor on our web site so the export-import and convert issues shall be fixed. Please download the latest version from our web site and let me know if it works for you as supposed.
The increase of SIB file size was caused by the fact that SIL Editor now saves SIB files always in Unicode format and Unicode is twice larger that simple ANSI.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Sandor Albert

Post by Sandor Albert »

Thanks for the answer and the quick fix. I can confirm that with the sample data in the test SIB, the export/import function works correctly. Also nice job on reducing the resulted SIB file size compared to the previous version's one.
I'll start to validate the export/import functionality against our main SIB file containing close to 100k entries so it might take a while. As soon as I have the result I will re-confirm the SILEditor fix here.