Problem with Japanese

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Linda Berry

Problem with Japanese

Post by Linda Berry »

I am using TntComponents which work in Unicode on my XP machine. They are derived from VCL components. I can cut and past Japanese into the caption of a bitbtn. However the siLang component (5.2.5) shows ???? in place of the text that is sitting there on the button.

When I went into the dictionary and pasted in japanese and saved the dictionary and came back, the japanese had changed to ?????.

When I attempted to use babelfish for translations, it worked fine to add Spanish, but no language with pictographs was translated, even when I made the font for the column Arial MS Unicode.

What do I need to do to be able to use Japanese or Korean or Chinese as a second language in the siLang components.

Thank you for your help,
Linda
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Since TsiLang Components Suite VCL edition is ANSI based you should set Japanese as default language in your OS in order to have it supported in TsiLang Translation Editor.
Linda Berry

Post by Linda Berry »

Thank you for your response. I tried it just now and it did not work. Here is what I did. I went to Regions and Languages on my XP System and changed the language to Japanese. I then went in and put in a TntButton that handles unicode and copied three characters of Japanese to the caption. Then I clicked on the TsiLang component on the form to enter the Translation Editor. The Editor had three question marks for the three characters sitting on the button face.

Please advise,
thank you,
Linda Berry
gaivans

Post by gaivans »

Hello Linda,

The problem is that TntControls use absolutely different method of handling strings in comparision with standard VCL controls. TsiLang components (VCL Edition) are intended to use only with ANSI controls (from Borland or other vendors) and cannot handle properly TntControls. If you do not need any specific Unicode capabilities (for example, to display in one control simultaneosly symbols from different languages), I would recommend using standard controls instead TntControls. Then your application will be enable to support all languages Delphi can handle.

P.S. TntControls itself work properly only on NT platform and if you distribute your application to Win 98/Me users you gain nothing from using TntControls.
Best regards,
Serghei Gaivan
Linda Berry

Post by Linda Berry »

I am not attached to TNT Controls. What I need is a string grid that will let me put far eastern languages in the cells of the grid. I need to be able to do this in a system that has english, french, spanish or german as the user selected language for windows (usually english). I started checking with you because I need to use controls that are compatible with TsiLang components. Do you have any ideas on how I can do this?

Thank you again for your help,
Linda