Umlauts in extended translations not loading correctly.

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Thrillhouse

Umlauts in extended translations not loading correctly.

Post by Thrillhouse »

Hi again.

My current problem involves umlauts again. Basically, if I load my translations from the SIL file, any text with umlauts which are loaded into the form (for example, Captions, Items, Multilines and other extended translations) are not loaded correctly.

Standard letters are fine, but I will generally see changes such as:

ä becomes ä

ü becomes ü

ö becomes ö

However, these changes are only shown when displayed in the form. When opening the translation editor for the form, everything is normal.

After this, if I save to a SIL file without fixing them, the changes are output, and next time I load, additional unwanted characters are introduced, and this will stack each time.

I'm using C++ Builder 6, and I've made sure the fonts and charsets are fine for displaying Umlauts.

Any tips on how to fix this?
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

Sorry for the delay with reply, I've missed this topic. The problem really looks like using UTF8 in non UTF8 environment. May be hte file was stored with UTF8 encoding but later the UTF8 flag was removed?
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Thrillhouse

Post by Thrillhouse »

I'll have a play around with that and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.
Thrillhouse

Post by Thrillhouse »

It seems to have been a problem in which the file was stored as an ANSI file, but the text option within the file, "IsUTF8File", was set to 1, so it was getting confused. Making sure this was set to 0 and keeping the file in ANSI encoding seems to have resolved all of my text display issues.