Store translation data in dfm in a format possible to merge

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
ottigeda

Store translation data in dfm in a format possible to merge

Post by ottigeda »

Hello

I really like the fact that the translation data is stored in the .dfm file. As then I am sure I have everything as long as I got the .dfm file and I do not have to distribute additional files to my executable.

However as I am using a version control system to track the changes of my source, I got one problem as soon as I am using branches. As soon as a form is edited on different branches, I am unable to merge .dfm files together later due to tsilang component.

So my idea was, can I somehow store the translation data in a human readable format in the .dfm file (something like the .sil file)?

Thanks in advance
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

Unfortunately, it is not possible because some time ago the new DFM streaming method introduced the encoding of special chars that will cause they won't properly decode on PC with another default locale. This is why there was introduced our own encoding for translation data.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
ottigeda

Post by ottigeda »

Hello

OK. Now I understand, thanks a lot! Is there an possibility to achieve this with translations stored in an external file?
Jean-Paul Brassard

Re: Store translation data in dfm in a format possible to me

Post by Jean-Paul Brassard »

ottigeda wrote:Hello

I really like the fact that the translation data is stored in the .dfm file. As then I am sure I have everything as long as I got the .dfm file and I do not have to distribute additional files to my executable.

However as I am using a version control system to track the changes of my source, I got one problem as soon as I am using branches. As soon as a form is edited on different branches, I am unable to merge .dfm files together later due to tsilang component.

So my idea was, can I somehow store the translation data in a human readable format in the .dfm file (something like the .sil file)?

Thanks in advance
Hi,
To help solve that problem, here we export all translation to SIL files and store them into VSS as well as the DFM files. The SIL are not "official" as they are not used neither at design or run time... But when we have to compare two versions, or two branches, we can compare those SIL files to see the differences... This helps us quite a lot.
Jean-Paul Brassard
Quebec, Canada