Going down in flames...

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Xyzzy

Going down in flames...

Post by Xyzzy »

Hello!

I translate all Collectorz.com applications to Polish with Si tools. Also I have over 10y of technical translation experience.

I am using Files Editor 4.1.0.1 and Dictionary Manager 2.3.2.6. Why so old? Because anything newer is unusable. I returned to these version today, after attempting to use a few newer versions, with corrupt national characters in both dictionary file and .sib files.

Maybe SiComponents are great sw for programmers, but the tools for translators are subpar. Slow, with lots of problems and low usability.

I'll skip all the problems, I just would like:
- to know how to re-enable coloring of non-translated cells in the version I use (option doesn't work)
- to know if it is possible to unmap editor options from ralt+a and ralt+s keys (yes, some languages use these combos for character input...)
- to ask Si not to force me to upgrade EVER
isiticov
Site Admin

Re: Going down in flames...

Post by isiticov »

Hello Xyzzy,

First at all, thank you for your message.
Xyzzy wrote: I translate all Collectorz.com applications to Polish with Si tools. Also I have over 10y of technical translation experience.
Great!
I am using Files Editor 4.1.0.1 and Dictionary Manager 2.3.2.6. Why so old? Because anything newer is unusable. I returned to these version today, after attempting to use a few newer versions, with corrupt national characters in both dictionary file and .sib files.
What kind of corruption do you notice? Could you please send us more detailed report about this problem? Because all newer versions always include improvements and there must be no any problems. Otherwise, we would be "full of complaints" from thousands of users.
Maybe SiComponents are great sw for programmers, but the tools for translators are subpar (I'm sorry, but what is this?). Slow, with lots of problems and low usability.
Very "constructive" remark. ;-)
I'll skip all the problems,
Please don't skip any of them! Please report all to us. This will help us to improve our tools. Without knowing what kind of problems you have with our tools we're unable to fix them.
I just would like:
- to know how to re-enable coloring of non-translated cells in the version I use (option doesn't work)
We can't tell you how to do this in version you use (although the option settings must work). In the recent version just activate the respective settings in Options dialog and it just works.
- to know if it is possible to unmap editor options from ralt+a and ralt+s keys (yes, some languages use these combos for character input...)
The recent version includes NO commands with such shortcuts as well as no editor options.
- to ask Si not to force me to upgrade EVER

We don't force you to upgrade. If you wish to disable checking of newer version you can disable this in Options. Also please note: it is impossible to provide you any improvements without delivering the updated version.

Also please note: we do support only the latest versions of our tools and when reporting any problem please be sure you use the latest versions of them.

P.S. The problem with not working options settings might have the origin of having installed newer version before the older one and so on. As result the newer version wrote new registry settings which confused the older one. You can try just to delete the registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SiComponents\TsiLang Editor
and then re-configure the options.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Using components (Files Editor & Dictionary manager) downloaded yesterday:
- ralt+a calls Add All function from toolbar
- ralt+s calls Suggest translation function from toolbar
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Something (Editor or Dictionary) corrupts national characters, see this screenshot:
http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/8431/silerror.jpg
In all these entries, except 3 easy to spot, the 4th word should be the same.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Usability issue: there is no way to hide from tree and table pane unchanged items (or at lest jump to next untranslated item for selected language).
With every software release I have to go through all items in the tree and scroll all the table panes to check, if there are items to translate.
Translation takes 2 times more time that it could.
:?
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Usability issues:
Translation Widths dialog should never be displayed over the current row.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hello,

Thank you very much for all reported issues. We will try to fix and improve them in next updates.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Adding entries to dictionary is dramatically slow, and there is no way to specify language (all language from .sib are added).

I wanted to clean up dictionary by deleting all entries for my language and add entries anew by opening sib files in Editor and using Add All option in the root element in the tree panel, but it takes very, very long.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

In Editor, why there is no option to hide all languages except for source and target? It's rather natural that translation needs only source and target visible.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

Check format string should also check for spaces at the and and at the beginning of a segment- if it matches original.
Xyzzy

Post by Xyzzy »

No way to abort Add All operation.
When I tried by pressing Escape and clicking Close button, I got:
Access violation at address 00404354 in module SILEditor.exe. Read of address FFFFFFFD.