Link to exe fail

All announcements, questions and issues related to the Resource Builder
Nicolas

Link to exe fail

Post by Nicolas »

Hello,

Resource builder 2.0.5

When I try to to link the resource content to a dll, I get a Link error critical error at the end of the process, no matter replacement options are.

When I compile the same file, go back to the compiler, I can compile and make the dll.

It seems however that the link was correctly done

Please advise

Thank you
dragosh

Post by dragosh »

Hello!

We are unable to reproduce this bug.
Can you send us the dll that you are trying to link to?
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Thank you

Could you give an e-mail address to which I can send the dll and the source script

Thanks

Nicolas
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

We've just released new update for Resource Builder which includes the fix for this bug. Please update your version either by using Update Manager or by downloading complete package from our site.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Thanks it does word now

I appreciate the quick response / fix time

Nicolas
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I feel sorry but it seems to me that the fix is not fully operational. While the link does work, the dll can't be registered anymore with regsvr32, as if some other piece of this original dll is broken.

Awaiting for your comments

Thank you
dragosh

Post by dragosh »

Hello!

A fix will be out in a couple of days.
dragosh

Post by dragosh »

Done.
Use Update manager to get the last version.

Thank you for your bug reports
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Still have a problem with regsvr32. Says that is fails to register the dll and returns the following error code : 0x80004005

resource builder version : 2.0.7.67

Nicolas
dragosh

Post by dragosh »

Hello!

Could you send us the dll after you link the resources to it?
dragosh

Post by dragosh »

Did you select "Replace" as a linking method when linking to dll? Note that "Replace" deletes all resources in the dll file, which aren't included in the project. So, in your case, type library also got deleted. Try to use "Smart add" method, which will preserve existing resources.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

You're right, this is what happened. Selecting smart add makes it work.

However I see a little drawback here : say I remove some strings in the source code that are still in the dll, they won't removed during the link process.

I'm wondering where you could leave the code section, and other must have stuff as it is and replace everything that belongs to interface resources (cursor, bitmap, strings, etc...)

Thanks

Nicolas
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

The smart add function is exactly what should be used. Resource Builder doesn't touch or change code or others sections. It just modifies resource section. And it is up to programmer to control what he will modify update when linking. In case you need to replace resources you just link RC file with Replace option and the same for other cases.