Importing data from Armtracker

Old forum to discuss the RegKeeper- e-Sales Tracking Software. (Locked)
MainSoft

Importing data from Armtracker

Post by MainSoft »

Hi,

I'm using currently using Armtracker for tracking my sales. My software is protected by Armadillo, this is why I'm using Armtracker for the moment. However, I'm not incredibly satisfied with the product and I'd like to switch to something else, possibly RegKeeper. And of course, I have to import a lot of existing data that are not really compatible with RegKeeper.

One of the main problem I have is importing the registration code from the order notification emails (coming from Plimus, RegSoft and RegNow). The registration code is computed by the registration service and directly sent to the user. When importing from emails, it seems that there's no provision for specifying where the registration code can be found in the message and where it should go. This is a problem that is already irritating me in Armtracker because for each order, I have to generate a fake registration code and then replace it manually with the actual registration code I got in the notification email. Obviously, I'll have the same problem in Regkeeper. Or did I miss something?

Also, RegKeeper seems to assume that only one registration code can be attached to a given order. This is wrong:

- A customer may order multiple licenses
- New registration codes can be re-issued because the protection scheme has changed or for some other reason.

So the software should be able to manage multiple registration codes for a single order. RegKeeper doesn't seem to take this into account. Or am I wrong?

Otherwise it seems that RegKeeper is much more sophisticated than Armtracker but for the moment, I don't see any way to cleanly import my exisiting data.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi Patrick!
I'm glad to see you back here!
Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Armtracker. Is it possible to export orders from Armtracker to CSV? In this case you would be able to easily import this CSV into RegKeeper.

Yes, the problem of importing regcode from order source is actual and as you can see at http://www.sicomponents.com/mantis already in our list. I hope it will be implemented shortly, because we've several similar request received recently.

Actually, RegKeeper can contain as many fields per order as you need. You can add a custom field or fields for order table and use it to store any additional data for order as you want. Just check menu Tools | Custom Fields. So you will be able to use several regcode fields for one order.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

Hi Igor,

How are you doing?
isiticov wrote:Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Armtracker. Is it possible to export orders from Armtracker to CSV?
It is not possible to export anything from ArmTracker, beside opening the mdb file from an external program and exporting the data yourself.
isiticov wrote:Actually, RegKeeper can contain as many fields per order as you need. You can add a custom field or fields for order table and use it to store any additional data for order as you want. Just check menu Tools | Custom Fields. So you will be able to use several regcode fields for one order.
Custom fields are certainly a possible solution but this is not as flexible as having a secondary table for the registration codes attached to a given order. You can't predict in advance how much registration codes you'll be delivering. So how many custom fields should I add? 2, 3, 10? I admit, most of the time there will be only one. But if you want to make your app as flexible as possible, registration codes should go in a secondary table. This is what Armtracker does.

And what if you want to mark a registration code as stolen?

Orders go in a separate table because one customer can place multiple orders. There is the same relationship between orders and registration codes. IMHO.

If I were to write a program to directly export the data from Armtracker to Regkeeper, I would have difficulties because I would be uncerain about what to do with the data in Armtracker's registration code table.

Cheers.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi Patrik,

I think it is good idea to add an maintain reg codes table separately. We will try to implement this. Thanks for this. Aslo we will try to find a way to export ArmTracker MDB file to our MDB file. Of course the problem of reg codes table is still actual. :(
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

isiticov wrote:Hi Patrick,

I think it is good idea to add an maintain reg codes table separately. We will try to implement this. Thanks for this. Aslo we will try to find a way to export ArmTracker MDB file to our MDB file. Of course the problem of reg codes table is still actual. :(
Hi Igor,

Any progress in this direction? If i were able to easily import the Amtracker data into RegKeeper and if the one order = one key problem has been solved, I would purchase a license immediately :) .

Cheers.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi Patrick!

Unfortunately, this is not yet ready. :(
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

isiticov wrote:I think it is good idea to add an maintain reg codes table separately. We will try to implement this.
Hi Igor,

Is this feature now implemented? If RegKeeper would support multiple keys per order, I would try to handle the Armtracker import problem myself...

Thanks.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Hi Patrick!

We're working right now under version 2.0 and this feature is in progress.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
MainSoft

Post by MainSoft »

isiticov wrote:We're working right now under version 2.0 and this feature is in progress.
Hello Igor,

If it's not a secret, when do you plan to release the new version?

Cheers.
Patrick Philippot
www.mainsoft.fr
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

We're doing all as possible to release it this autumn.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.