Building packages under BDS2006

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Andrue

Building packages under BDS2006

Post by Andrue »

When I try to open TSiLang_C2006.bdsproj nothing happens. BDS just ignores me. I've downloaded the update which claims to fix the problem with drive Y: if that makes a difference.

Obviously this is particularly irritating bug in BDS but is this a known issue with a workaround?
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Are you able see the TSiLang_C2006 in the Project Manager tree? (usually it is placed at the top-right of IDE desktop)
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

isiticov wrote:Are you able see the TSiLang_C2006 in the Project Manager tree? (usually it is placed at the top-right of IDE desktop)
Drat. Soemthing lost my reply.

No, the project tree remains empty. If we manually add the .bdsproj into a new group BDS loads the last of our projects instead :-/

We've had no problem installing the new version into BCB6 (on the same machine) it's just BDS that is refusing to have anything to do with your project or else (weird though it may sound) chooses to load another project instead.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Does Delphi 2006 identity work the same way as BCB?
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

isiticov wrote:Does Delphi 2006 identity work the same way as BCB?
Yes but only if load just that personality. Loading all personalities produces an error about an invalid interface.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

Andrue wrote:
isiticov wrote:Does Delphi 2006 identity work the same way as BCB?
Yes but only if load just that personality. Loading all personalities produces an error about an invalid interface.
After using the Delphi personality to install the packages I closed the IDE and reloaded as the C++ personality. On startup it complained that it couldn't load the project without the Delphi personality (obviously) and defaulted to a completely clean slate.

I then opened TSiLang_C2006.bdsproj and...it ignored me. Not a squeak and the Project tree is empty. I then manually added your project to the tree and I seem to have 'fixed' one thing - it no longer opens a different project. Instead it does nothing.

:?
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

I found a solution but it's a bit weird.

I recreated the package project by manually adding in the two .PAS files (siReg and siDialog) listed in the project you supply. I then added the CPP and clicked Install.

1.First thing I get a dialog telling me that the two PAS files need to be removed so I let it.
2.Next I get told it can't find TsiLang_D2006.BPI. Neither can I so I tell it to remove the reference and continue.
3.It compiles the package and seems to have installed it.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

This is a mystery! :)
At leats it is good that it finally works for you.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

isiticov wrote:This is a mystery! :)
At leats it is good that it finally works for you.
Well I still have to resolve some linker errors but for the moment I think they are unrelated VCL issues. I'm finding that BDS seems to have problems correctly adding LIBs to projects.

Edit:Looks like my original project wasn't good enough. I've gone further but now I'm stumped. The Pascal compiler says it wants Proxies.dcu but I only have Proxies.hpp. On the plus side my new .bdsproj can be reopened so I might just try a Diff and see if I can work out why your .bdsproj can't be.

Hmm. Seems like it's compiling something it shouldn't be according to http://bdn.borland.com/article/0,1410,27779,00.html. I'm guessing (the BDS help seems useless on the subject) that $IFDEF DELPHI8 is supposed to fail and thus prevent siPropEditors from using
DesignIntf and DesignEditors.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

You need to add designide to required packages and also add designide to LU arguments please check the lines:

Code: Select all

<property category="win32.*.win32b.dcc32" name="option.LU.arg.1" value="designide"/>
          <property category="win32.*.win32b.dcc32" name="option.LU.arg.merge" value="1"/>
          <property category="win32.*.win32b.dcc32" name="option.LU.enabled" value="1"/>
in TsiLang_C2006.bdsproj
They tell compiler to correctly link IDE package.
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

Thanks, I've added that to the project.

I'm still running into a problem with uses. In particular:

In siPropEditors the compiler complains at:
{$IFNDEF DELPHI8}
Menus, DesignIntf, DesignEditors, ComponentDesigner, Variants, DesignMenus,

[Pascal Fatal Error] siPropEditors.pas(34): F1026 File not found: 'DesignIntf.dcu'

I think that's the start of the slippery slope that leads to proxies.dcu and I'm wondering if that conditional define is even correct? DELPHI8 /won't/ be defined will it?
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

D'oh!

Well sort of.

My colleague sent me a copy of what he claimed was the latest version. Turns out it wasn't. Although I downloaded it myself I must have run his version both times. I've d/loaded it again and although BDS still won't open your project my new project gets a lot further. It only fails to link now:

[Linker Fatal Error] Fatal: Unable to open file 'CHECKLST.OBJ'. Solved - needed vclx.bpi adding.

Now though I'm back where I've actually been a few times before:

[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external '__tpdsc__ System::String' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\SICOMPONENTS\TSILANG\UNITS\SICOMP.OBJ
[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external '__fastcall Graphics::TFont::SetSize(int)' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\SICOMPONENTS\TSILANG\UNITS\SICOMP.OBJ
[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external 'System::__linkproc__ __fastcall LStrOfChar()' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\SICOMPONENTS\TSILANG\UNITS\SICOMP.OBJ
[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external '__fastcall Graphics::TFont::SetCharset(unsigned char)' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\SICOMPONENTS\TSILANG\UNITS\SICOMP.OBJ
[Linker Error] Error: Unresolved external 'System::__linkproc__ __fastcall VarCopy(System::Variant&, const System::Variant&)' referenced from C:\PROGRAM FILES\SICOMPONENTS\TSILANG\UNITS\RTIMELNG.OBJ

..and several more like that.
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

May be it would help if I just send you the compiled BDS2006 С++Builder packages and you install them?
Best regards,
Igor Siticov.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

isiticov wrote:May be it would help if I just send you the compiled BDS2006 С++Builder packages and you install them?
If you could that would be great, thanks!

I've ll sent an email with our contact details.

FWIW I suspect it's down to BDS silliness at our end. At some point I will try a clean BDS install but it'd be nice to finish porting all our projects over to BDS first.
Andrue

Post by Andrue »

Thanks, I got them. They installed and I can compile link statically. Oddly when I try to use run time packages the linker fails with 'can't find const.obj' but that's probably some more BDS silliness.

Thanks for all your help anyway :)