How to best translate a lot of related programs and dll's.

All announcements, questions and issues related to the TsiLang Components Suite.
Delphi2020

How to best translate a lot of related programs and dll's.

Post by Delphi2020 »

Hi,

I bought a license for the TSI-Lang suite to be able to translate my web maintenance program Sitestepper into different languages.

Sitestepper consists of over 10 executables and over 10 dll's.

The ideal situation should be to keep all translations into 1 language file. That would save me time having to translate similar strings in all of my appications and dll's.

I have read the pds and the help file and still cannot decide how to best start with this task. And I want to be sure I do it right from the first time.
Can anyone point me into the correct direction ?
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

You can save all your projects into one SIL or SIB file but you must be sure that either your project don't have forms with equal names or these forms are equal and translations are valid for all of them. In case you have just one (or many) form re-used in several projects at once then saving all into one SIL/SIB file will help you since will reduce the translation time. In case saving into one global SIL/SIB file is not applicable then you may consider to use Dictionary and export translations from SIL Editor and then re-use them using auto-translate in SIL/SIB file for next project.
Delphi2020

Post by Delphi2020 »

<You can save all your projects into one SIL or SIB file but you must be sure that either your project don't have forms with equal names or these forms are equal and translations are valid for all of them. >

This does not help me, does it ? The idea was to have f.i. one global caption 'About...', one translation into Dutch 'Info...' and than be able to use this translation automatically in all of my exe's and dll's.

If the formname is always prepented to the component name, I will have 20 different entries in the .sil or .sib file all indicating a translation from 'About...' into 'Info...'.

If I want to change 'Info...' into 'Informatie...' I have to do this manually in all of my projects. I was hoping to avoid this.

<In case saving into one global SIL/SIB file is not applicable then you may consider to use Dictionary and export translations from SIL Editor and then re-use them using auto-translate in SIL/SIB file for next project.>

Here also: this is a manual action I need to perform in each and every project, no ?

Thanks for answering,
Erik
Programmer by choice and profession !
isiticov
Site Admin

Post by isiticov »

Delphi2020 wrote:Here also: this is a manual action I need to perform in each and every project, no ?
In case you store your translations in dictionary then you will need to perform manually only:
1. Starting SIL Editor
2. Clicking auto-translate
3. Close SIL Editor.

Which is not much I hope :)
Delphi2020

Post by Delphi2020 »

No, it's not.

I will try it as you suggest and see how it goes.

It's just that I want to do it correct from the beginning before I start translating all these programs.

Thanks for your help. :o
Programmer by choice and profession !